Wayne Piers, DO
Dr. Wayne Piers comes to MaineOrtho after 18 years as a solo practitioner under the banner of Maine Coast Orthopaedics in Portland. He earned a Harvard Medical School Fellowship and trained at Brigham and Women’s Hospital in Boston, leading to his specialization in complex primary and revision joint replacement of hips and knees. With his training and experience,Dr. Piers has developed the medical art of adjusting the new joint to match the intricacies of each person’s musculoskeletal make-up for the best outcome.
An accomplished long distance runner, Dr. Piers also takes special interest in running technique and injury. As a member of the Dirigo Running Club, he has had the opportunity both to treat and compete with Maine elite and recreational runners. He is also experienced in orthopaedic trauma, having trained at the AOTrauma Fellowship Program at Tampa General Hospital in Tampa, Florida.
Dr. Piers was born and raised in the Berkshires of Massachusetts. He lives in Falmouth and has five children. Together they enjoy youth soccer and cross country, which he coaches, as well as alpine skiing.
Education & Training
- Michigan State University College of Osteopathic Medicine, East Lansing, MI
- Brighton Medical Center, internship and residency, Portland, ME
- Harvard Medical School, fellowship, Boston, MA
- Brigham and Women’s Hospital, Boston, MA
- Served as the Vice Chairman of the Southern Maine Orthopaedic Management Company
- Clinical Professor at the University of New England, teaching musculoskeletal curriculum
Primary Contact Info