Sean Hanley, MD
Managing Director, Orthopaedic West Division
Dr. Hanley specializes in complex hip and knee reconstructive surgery as well as sports medicine and shoulder surgery. He is trained in the latest techniques of primary and revision joint replacement, including the minimally invasive techniques for both the hip and knee, and has utilized them for more than five years. Dr. Hanley also is trained and experienced in fracture care, complex shoulder surgery, and general orthopaedics. His sports medicine surgical skills have been honed by caring for local elite and recreational athletes for more than 30 years and are enhanced by his time as a physician for the US Olympic Team during the Summer Olympic Games in Atlanta in 1996 and at the Pan American Games in Mar Del Plata, Argentina.
Dr. Hanley was born in Portland and raised in Brunswick and received his undergraduate degree from Bowdoin College. Dr. Hanley lives with his wife in Falmouth, while his two sons carry on the family tradition by attending college at Bowdoin. He continues to be involved in youth athletics, both as a coach and as a sports medicine physician, and in his spare time enjoys playing hockey, fishing, golfing, and skiing.
- American Board of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- US Olympic Sports Medicine Clinic
- Maine Society of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- Maine Medical Association
Education & Training
- Tufts University School of Medicine, Boston, MA
- Hospital for Special Surgery, residency in orthopaedics, New York, NY
- Atlanta Sports Medicine Clinic, fellowship in sports medicine, Atlanta, GA
- Chief of Orthopaedics at Mercy Hospital
- Board member of the Community Physicians of Maine
- Chairman of the Dan Hanley Center for Healthcare Leadership
Primary Contact Info